Home is a special place. It’s where memories are made, loved ones come together, and your family can retreat from the busyness of life. Because of this, decorating your home in a manner that promotes relaxation and peace is important. If you’d like to transform your home into a sanctuary for your family and guests alike, the design team at Sam Levitz Furniture has the tips and ideas to make every space in your home feel like you’re on vacation.
Maximize Natural Light
The way in which you illuminate your home is just as important as the furniture and decor you bring into a space. Replacing artificial light with natural sunshine can have a big impact on your home’s overall appearance and ambiance. Where artificial lighting can sometimes feel harsh or dim, natural light has the ability to make your home feel open, inviting, and spacious. Best of all, natural light can reduce stress and boost your mood. Who couldn’t benefit from that? To ensure that you’re optimizing the natural light available in your home, be sure to keep these suggestions in mind:
- Keep windows free from obstructions, such as large, bulky furnishings.
- Choose window treatments that won’t block sunshine from spilling in, such as light curtain panels.
- Position a mirror across from your window to maximize the light in a space, especially if it’s small or dark.
Create a Space for Kids
Finding a quiet place in your home to unwind can be a challenge, especially if there are young children around. To keep the little ones occupied, while helping the rest of your home stay organized and peaceful, consider designing an area specifically for them. Whether you transform a spare bedroom into a playroom or incorporate a kid-friendly section in your living room, giving the children in your home a space of their own to be loud, make a mess, and have fun can make keeping the rest of your home tidy more convenient. These tips are a great place to start when designing a play area that is stylish, playful, and practical:
- Use bins, baskets, and shelves to make cleaning up toys simple.
- Don’t forget to bring in comfy elements, such as a plush area rug, soft throw pillows, and kid-sized furniture.
- Keep it fun by incorporating your child’s favorite color, unexpected wall hangings, and items they’re interested in, such as music, sports, or cartoon characters.
Bring in Plants
Much like natural light, houseplants have the innate ability to make homes look better and feel more relaxing. If you have a room that could use a finishing touch that brings the whole look together while making it feel “homey,” a houseplant or two may be the perfect solution. Beautiful, refreshing, and customizable, plants come in a variety of sizes and styles to meet your unique decor, maintenance, and price requirements. Here are some popular plants that are worth inviting into any room in your home:
- Bedroom: Peace lilies, jasmine, and parlor palms can help you sleep better while adding a pop of color to your bedroom.
- Kitchen: English ivy, Aloe Vera, and herbs can take an ordinary kitchen and transform it into your favorite space in the home.
- Living Room: Spider plants, snake plants, and pothos can bring much-needed color, texture, and warmth to your family room.
Keep Things Organized
If your home feels more chaotic than calming, it may be time to get organized. When your living spaces are clutter-free and your personal belongings are neatly tucked away, you just feel better. To make the most out of every space in your home, take baby steps and work your way through each room at a time. Start by decluttering any unnecessary items (those things you don’t use, need, or love). Once the space is free of excess clutter, consider your organizational needs. How can you keep everyday items easily accessible yet neat and orderly? Drawer separators, wicker baskets, and furniture with hidden storage capabilities can make your home more functional and convenient. You may be surprised by how much better you feel after simply organizing your belongings.
Choose a Soothing Color Palette
The colors you choose to decorate your home matter, particularly in rooms where you want to relax and unwind. While you may love bright colors and bold designs, using them in certain areas of your home could make it more challenging to decompress. For instance, colors that stimulate your brain, such as red and orange, shouldn’t be used in your bedroom where you plan to rest and sleep. Instead, soft, neutral colors, such as whites, creams, and tans, are much more effective at transforming your bedroom into a peaceful, tranquil oasis. If you insist on using color in your bedroom to some degree, be sure to choose ones that are calming rather than overwhelming, such as blues, greens, and grays.
Incorporate Calming Elements
Designing a home that exudes comfort and relaxation is all about the details. Little touches spread throughout each of your living spaces can make a big difference in creating lounge-worthy spaces that will encourage you to exhale every time you step through the door. Check out these simple tips to make every room in your home more comfortable and calming:
- Choose upholstery that doesn’t just look great but feels luxurious for sofas, armchairs, and sectionals.
- Invest in quality bedding, including soft sheets, plush comforters, and fluffy pillows.
- Cover bare floors with gorgeous area rugs to warm up the room as well as your toes.
- Help your rooms smell as good as they look with relaxing and calming scented candles, essential oils, or fresh flowers.
If your home could use a touch of relaxation, the friendly team at Sam Levitz Furniture is here to help. We have everything you need to create beautiful and comfortable spaces that you’ll be proud to call your own, including modern furnishings and accessories to fit any style and budget. For more tips on transforming your home into a calming sanctuary, contact us or visit our showroom in Tucson today!
- Cómo Mantener su Oficina en Casa Actualizada - August 24, 2021
- How to Keep Your Home Office Up-to-Date - August 19, 2021
- Cree un Espacio de Vida al Aire Libre Simple y Perfecto - July 23, 2021
- Create a Simple and Perfect Outdoor Living Space - July 20, 2021
- Cómo Adaptar el Estilo de su Hogar de la Primavera al Verano - June 11, 2021