If you’re interested in creating the perfect backdrop for laid-back get-togethers, special occasions and everyday family time at your home, there’s no better option than your outdoor patio area. When thoughtfully decorated, outdoor entertaining spaces can look as attractive, feel as comfortable and provide as much functionality as the indoor areas of your home. Fortunately, you don’t have to have a ton of space or money to curate an outdoor living space that your family and friends look forward to gathering in. Check out these five simple tips from the trusted design team at Sam Levitz Furniture to elevate the appearance and atmosphere of your outdoor entertaining area.
Determine what you need
Before you jump into buying new furniture and accessories for your outdoor space, it’s wise to come up with a decorating plan. Consider the size of the space and what you plan to use it for. Do you envision hosting guests at an intimate outdoor dining area? Or perhaps you’d prefer a seating area to enjoy your favorite cocktail with your family at the end of a long day. Determining exactly how you intend to use the space and what elements you’ll have to work around, including size and layout, will help streamline the process of finding pieces that are functional and stylish.
Choose the right furnishings
Once you know what kind of furniture you need for your outdoor entertaining space, it’s time to choose pieces that look inviting and feel comfortable. After all, if your outdoor space is beautiful and comfy, your family will be more likely to spend time there. Here are some tips to help you choose the best furnishings for your outdoor living space:
- Prioritize comfort: If possible, try out the outdoor furniture you’re interested in before purchasing it to make sure it’s as cozy as you’d like it to be.
- Mix and match: Just as you don’t want your indoor living spaces to look uninspiring and cookie-cutter, it is good to pair furnishings that are not identical but complement each other to make the space feel personalized and attractive.
- Measure, measure, measure: Don’t bring anything home until you’ve measured both the furniture you have in mind and the space where it will go.
Bring in stylish accessories
Just because your outdoor living space isn’t inside doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t be thoughtfully accessorized. Accessories are a wonderful way to bring texture, color and personality to porches or patios that might otherwise feel ordinary or bland. Check out these items that can effortlessly elevate your outdoor living area in no time:
- Decorative pillows: To make your patio area look chic and welcoming without breaking the bank, accent pillows are a must. Along with making your outdoor sofas and chairs more comfortable, throw pillows can easily be swapped out for different seasons, holidays and styles.
- Area rugs: An area rug is the secret to making any space look put together, including outdoor spaces, but they’re also helpful in breaking up areas that are particularly large. Place one under your outdoor dining area and another under your outdoor conversation set to make it feel like the two spaces are separate from one another.
- Lamps: If your patio area is well covered, consider adding an indoor table lamp or floor lamp to the space. The result is sure to feel warm, inviting, and delightfully stylish.
Set the mood
There’s something about eating, relaxing and entertaining outdoors that feels special. While it doesn’t take much to create the perfect spot to hang out with your loved ones on your porch or patio, there are certain steps you can take to make these areas feel even more magical. For instance, hanging string lights around your outdoor seating areas or even in your trees can provide a gorgeous aesthetic while making the space feel whimsical and intimate. Likewise, you can easily take your outdoor living area to the next level by bringing in some background music. Whether you install a surround sound system or place a portable Bluetooth speaker on your outdoor coffee table, your family and guests will surely appreciate the tunes as much as you do.
Finish the look with greenery
When it comes to making any area of your home feel more polished and warm, incorporating potted plants is essential. Not only can houseplants help your living room look more modern, add to the tranquility of your bedroom and brighten up your kitchen, they can also put the perfect finishing touch on your outdoor entertaining area. The good news about decorating with greenery is that there are countless ways to embellish both your indoor and outdoor spaces based on your style needs, budget requirements and gardening experience. Keep these tips in mind to make the most of your patio with plants:
- Choose plants that will thrive in your home’s environment, including sun exposure and temperature.
- Use a combination of different plants in a variety of shapes, sizes and colors to create dimension and visual appeal.
- Display your plants in surprising ways, such as hanging them from the ceiling or using them as a centerpiece on your outdoor side table.
Elevate your outdoor living space with Sam Levitz Furniture
Designing an outdoor living space that looks beautiful, feels welcoming and meets your family’s needs doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive. By creating a plan, investing in furnishings that look as good as they feel and incorporating tasteful accessories, you won’t believe how simple bringing your ultimate outdoor entertaining space to life can be. Whether your outdoor redesign journey is only beginning or you’re looking for a few home decor elements to complete the look, Sam Levitz Furniture in Tucson has you covered. Stop by our convenient showroom location or visit us online today to find everything you need to decorate the perfect outdoor space.
- How to create a functional and stylish office space - August 5, 2022
- Get outside: Designing the perfect outdoor living space - July 12, 2022
- More than a knick-knack: Choosing the right accent pieces - June 17, 2022
- How to design a personalized kids room - May 10, 2022
- Bold and beautiful: Using daring colors to update your home with confidence and style - April 25, 2022