When you work from home, staying motivated and productive is the ultimate challenge. This is especially true if you spend hours on end working in the same boring home office. If it’s been a while since you’ve given your home office decor or furnishings a second thought, the design team at Sam Levitz Furniture is here to help. With these six simple tips, you’ll be well on your way to breathing new life into your home office and boosting your productivity in no time!
Pick the Perfect Desk
Your desk won’t be the only focal point of your home office, but it will likely be the one piece of furniture you use more than anything else when in the space. With this in mind, it’s important to choose a desk that meets your specific work needs as well as the needs of the room. Before you order the first desk you find online, be sure to consider these factors to ensure that you find one that is both attractive and practical:
- What style will your home office be? Whether classic, rustic, trendy, or minimalist, having an idea of what look you’d like to accomplish in your office will make your furniture shopping experience more quick and productive.
- How big is the space? The size of your desk matters. While you’ll want to have plenty of room to work and spread out, don’t forget to measure your home office space (as well as the desk) to ensure that your desk doesn’t take up the entire room.
- What will you be using your desk for? If you’re hoping to stay active as you work throughout the day, a standing desk may be a good option for you. Whereas, if your children will be using your home office as a study station, having built-in storage bins may come in handy to hold each user’s belongings.
Invest in a Comfortable, Supportive Chair
Once you have the perfect desk for your home office, it’s time to find a chair to go with it. Though style might be the leading factor in which desk you choose for your home office, comfort should reign supreme when it’s time to buy a new office chair. Of course, trying out an office chair before bringing it home is ideal; but if that’s not possible, be sure to read online reviews to see what other customers say about the chairs you have your eye on. After all, who wants to work in a chair that isn’t comfortable to sit in?
Keep It Bright
The light fixtures you choose for your home office might not be at the top of your list when it’s time to do a redesign, but they should be. While poor lighting can make a room feel dark, small and dated, thoughtful light fixtures can effortlessly make a room feel bright, spacious and inviting. Most importantly, having a well-lit office can boost productivity and make working from home more enjoyable. To help your home office feel bright and balanced, consider layering your light sources. Along with an overhead ambient light, such as a lighted ceiling fan, be sure to include a stylish table lamp and an eye-catching floor lamp to enhance any dark corners. The result is sure to feel polished and sophisticated.
Include Plenty of Storage
Above all, your home office space should be functional. With this in mind, it’s a good idea to invest in practical storage options for your workspace. Here are some ideas to help you find the perfect organizational option to match your home office’s specific style needs:
- Traditional: Filing cabinets have come a long way in recent years. Gone are the days of boring metal filing cabinets. Now it’s easier than ever to find simple yet classic pieces that can easily keep your papers organized and accessible.
- Modern: Who wouldn’t love a bright, modern home office? If this is the look you have in mind, a rolling filing cabinet may be just the thing you need to achieve a clean, contemporary vibe.
- Rustic: To bring your farmhouse dreams to life in your home office, look no further than this charming credenza that can store and display your most important office supplies, while adding style and personality.
Bring in a Bookcase
Bookcases aren’t just for holding your favorite novels and family albums. They’re a great option for displaying everything from pictures and artwork to houseplants and knick-knacks, making them a wonderful piece to add warmth to your home office space. If you’d love to elevate your at-home workspace with a stylish bookcase, keep these decorating tips in mind:
- Leave Empty Space: Don’t fill your bookshelf up completely. Be sure there is bare space between objects and stacks of books to make it look open and inviting.
- Keep It Interesting: Stack books horizontally and vertically to add visual intrigue and keep your bookcase playful.
- Stay Balanced: Alternate large items with smaller objects throughout your bookcase to achieve a balanced, polished result.
Don’t Forget the Finishing Touches
Furniture alone can’t make a home office extraordinary. Your personal touches are what will make your office space feel special and one-of-a-kind. After you’ve found a desk, chair, lighting and storage that you love, it’s time to make the space your own. Here are some ideas to help you get started:
- Add a cozy area rug to add color, texture and pattern
- Hang artwork that means something to you
- Incorporate a houseplant or two for a homey touch
For everything you need to bring your home office dreams to life, the friendly associates at Sam Levitz Furniture are here to help! Whether you’re striving to create a timeless home office or want to give your dated workspace a modern upgrade, we have the furniture, accessories and home decor you need to meet your unique style needs. Visit us online or stop by our convenient showroom location to check out our large selection of quality office furnishings and more today.
- Cómo Mantener su Oficina en Casa Actualizada - August 24, 2021
- How to Keep Your Home Office Up-to-Date - August 19, 2021
- Cree un Espacio de Vida al Aire Libre Simple y Perfecto - July 23, 2021
- Create a Simple and Perfect Outdoor Living Space - July 20, 2021
- Cómo Adaptar el Estilo de su Hogar de la Primavera al Verano - June 11, 2021