When it comes to enhancing the appearance and comfort of any room in your home with minimal effort, it’s hard to top the impact of a fabulous area rug. Not only can area rugs make your living spaces look more visually intriguing and thoughtfully curated, but they also feel great beneath your bare feet. They also hide messes tracked in from your loved ones, all without taking away from the beauty of your wall-to-wall flooring. Area rugs are also great investment pieces that can transition from room to room or even home to home as your family’s needs evolve.
With so many rugs to choose from, finding the one that’s right for a particular area of your home can be overwhelming. Luckily, the trusted design team at Ashley HomeStore in Tucson is here to help. Keep these tips in mind to find the perfect rug for any space in your home.
Size and shape
If there’s one home decorating blunder that we’ve all made, it’s choosing the wrong size rug. While it’s common for homeowners to incorporate area rugs that are too small for the spaces they’re designing, this can make your living areas feel disjointed and smaller than they really are. It’s important to choose a rug that’s the appropriate size for the room or area you’re putting together. A good rule of thumb is to leave 4 to 8 inches of bare floor around each side of your area rug. Be sure to put at least the front legs of the major upholstered pieces of furniture in the room on the rug, such as sofas and tables. This will create a balanced, polished result.
The size of the room you’re decorating can also help you determine which shape area rug would work best in it. You can’t go wrong with a rectangular-shaped area rug in virtually any room, particularly large ones. Round rugs can add a soft yet stylish touch to your home and work beautifully in smaller spaces, such as breakfast rooms and reading nooks.
Material and texture
Rugs can be found in countless styles and can be made from a variety of materials. Before you buy the first area rug that you fall in love with, consider what material and texture would work best in your living spaces. Along with the way your area rug feels, it’s worth considering how much work you’re willing to put into maintaining it. You may love the look of a cowhide area rug, but if you live with young children or pets, keeping it clean may be more work than you expected. Here are some common materials that are used to make area rugs.
- Cotton: If you’re looking for a rug that can be washed, cotton is a great option. Cotton also gives area rugs a lighter feel, making them perfect for warmer climates, to use during the summer, or in rooms where you’re striving to create a laid-back atmosphere.
- Polyester and nylon: Synthetic materials, such as polyester and nylon, are known for their durability and easy maintenance. While they may not be as plush as natural fibers, they are typically stain-resistant and come in a wide range of patterns.
- Wool: Wool area rugs offer the best of both worlds because of their superior comfort and durability. While they’re known for their attractiveness, softness and longevity, they tend to be pricey and require regular professional cleanings.
- Jute: Jute area rugs are often neutral-colored and provide a soft texture under your feet, and because they are made from plant fibers, can be maintained with gentle spot cleanings.
Color and pattern
The right area rug won’t just make your living space look visually appealing and inviting, but it can also enhance the comfort and warmth of the space. The wrong area rug can make an otherwise stylish room feel fragmented, small or just plain “off.” Select an area rug that will not only complement the surrounding decor but will also help you achieve the aesthetic you have in mind. Check out these ideas to help you make the most of your area rug with the right color and pattern.
- Are you looking for a rug that will blend in with the other furnishings in your home? If so, choosing one with a neutral color scheme and a subtle pattern is the way to go. Alternatively, if you’re looking for a rug to act as the focal point of a room, choose one with a few bold colors that you pull from another area of the space, such as a painting, to create an unforgettable aesthetic.
- If your area rug is in a high-traffic area, it’s best to choose one with a detailed pattern or darker color palette that will hide stains and spills more effectively.
- Regardless of whether you want your rug to blend in or stand out, be sure to incorporate a rug that stays true to the overall style of the rest of the furnishings and accessories within a space. Adding an oriental rug to a farmhouse living room probably wouldn’t look quite right, however, a rustic woven rug would be the perfect finishing touch that pulls the rest of the room together.
Find your perfect rug at Ashley HomeStore
When the time comes to find the perfect area rug for your living room, bedroom or any other space in your home, Ashley HomeStore has you covered. We are proud to offer a large selection of quality rugs in an array of sizes, styles and price points to meet your specific home decorating needs. Stop by our convenient showroom location in Tucson or visit us online today to get started! We can’t wait to show you how inviting your home can feel by simply bringing in the right rug.
- Find the perfect piece that blends both fashion and function - February 15, 2023
- Entertaining In Any Space: Ideas For Small Additions Like Bar Carts, Outdoor Fire Tables/Pits, Etc. - December 20, 2022
- MAKE THE ENTRANCE OF YOUR HOME INTO A TRULY WELCOMING ENTRYWAY - December 1, 2022
- Relaxation you don’t have to chase: A spa in your home is within reach - November 22, 2022
- Tips and ideas for designing the perfect living room - September 27, 2022