Playing with the colors in your living spaces is a great way to mix up the style of your home while having fun with your decor along the way. While neutral tones and subtle hues are safe and generally easy to work with, they simply can’t pack the punch that bold colors can. The good news is that enhancing the style of your home with daring colors is easier than you might expect. Check out these six practical tips from the design team at Sam Levitz Furniture to update your home with bold color.
One pattern, countless possibilities
If you love daring color choices but don’t know where to start when it comes to incorporating them into your home, choosing a patterned item to build from can make the process easier. Using a piece of art or colorful area rug as your inspiration for a room can ensure that you choose colors that pop yet will still complement one another. If the wall decor you plan to hang in the space includes a variety of colors, like say a painting of a wildflower arrangement, select two or three colors from the image to use on everything from your accent pillows to your table lamps. You’ll love the playful yet balanced result.
Make a statement with an accent piece
Sometimes adding drama and personality to a space is as simple as making one element of the room the focal point. If your living spaces are feeling a bit drab, consider making a statement with one eye-catching feature. This could be using wallpaper to create a striking accent wall in your master bedroom, adding a brightly colored armchair to your office or even painting your fireplace a surprising shade to take your living room to the next level. You won’t believe how one statement-making feature can transform an entire room.
Use different tones of the same color
Creating stylish rooms that are full of color is one thing, but designing a home that feels balanced and cohesive as you walk from one room to the next is quite another. To make sure that the color choices you use in your living room will flow seamlessly into your kitchen, bedroom and beyond, consider using different tones of the same color. Blue is a great option to help you accomplish this. Use a light blue wall color in your small bathroom to make it feel spacious, bright blue accessories in your kitchen for a playful touch, and deep blue accents, such as curtains and bedding, in your living room and bedroom for a sophisticated yet relaxing vibe. Each room will feel fresh and unique while elevating the overall ambiance of your home.
Bring your eyes up
Decorating your ceiling can provide an unexpected and stylish look in any space in your home, big or small. Keep these tips in mind to breathe new life into your ceilings with surprising color.
- Paint your ceiling a deep shade of green to add drama to your dining room.
- Make your kitchen’s light fixtures the star of the show by choosing ones that are modern and bright.
- Use a stencil to paint a one-of-a-kind black and white pattern on your bathroom ceiling.
- Let the ceiling fan in your bedroom add to the room’s style with color and charm.
To ensure that your eye-catching ceiling decor is as tasteful as it is bold, it’s best to choose a neutral or understated paint color for the walls. Likewise, using a bright white trim can create a polished, distinctive finish to your bold ceiling.
Pair contrasting colors like a pro
Decorating with different tones of the same color can certainly help your home feel cohesive and balanced, but it’s not the only way to have fun with color in your home decor. Using contrasting colors can also help you make a bold statement in virtually any room of your house. The trick to decorating with contrasting colors like a professional designer is to choose ones that complement each other. Fortunately, there are many ways to do this. While you could stick with classic high-contrast color combinations, such as red and green, orange and blue or even black and white, playing with the contrast in other aspects of color can create a polished, dramatic atmosphere. Mixing dark and light shades of complementary colors, contrasting colors and even the same color is a simple step that can make a big impact in a space.
Make your floors shine
Just as your ceilings can bring color and personality to your living spaces, your floors can do the same. If a room in your home feels dull or disjointed, adding the right area rug can help pull the look together while adding some much-needed color, pattern and texture. When choosing a new area rug for any room in your house, remember these tips.
- Pick one that blends seamlessly with the style of the existing decor in the space. For instance, a fibrous, braided rug may be a better option than an elegant Oriental rug for your farmhouse-inspired living room.
- Select one that’s the appropriate size for the room. People tend to choose rugs that are too small, which can make your rooms feel smaller.
- If the space is already decorated with bright colors and bold patterns, a neutral or understated area rug will help the room feel balanced.
Embrace color in every room of your home
Adding eye-catching color to every room in your home can instantly update the look and feel of your living spaces. Whether you’re looking to revamp a particular space or you’re redesigning your entire home from the ground up, the experienced design team at Sam Levitz Furniture is here to help you every step of the way. Visit us online or stop by one of our convenient showroom locations today to check out our large selection of colorful furnishings, accessories and decor to help bring your bold interior design visions to life!
- How to create a functional and stylish office space - August 5, 2022
- Get outside: Designing the perfect outdoor living space - July 12, 2022
- More than a knick-knack: Choosing the right accent pieces - June 17, 2022
- How to design a personalized kids room - May 10, 2022
- Bold and beautiful: Using daring colors to update your home with confidence and style - April 25, 2022