Being an empty nester is an exciting phase of life. Along with having more free time to accomplish the projects you may not have had the chance to pursue in the past, when your child moves away, you’ll be able to transform their old room into a space that better serves your needs and interests. Even if you’re eager to convert your child’s old bedroom into your own personal space, doing so is often easier said than done. Fortunately, revamping an old bedroom into a gorgeous home office is not only possible but simple with a little forethought and planning. Check out these simple tips from the friendly experts at Ashley Homestore to create your perfect home office from scratch.
Find the Perfect Desk
First and foremost, finding the right desk for your home office is essential. Choosing a desk that is both attractive and functional is important since it will not only be the focal point of the room but it will also be where you spend the most time. Before you start browsing the internet for your ideal desk or step foot in a furniture store, you should consider your work needs, as well as any unique features the room may have. Here are some important factors to keep in mind:
- The size of the room: The last thing you want to do is fall in love with a desk that won’t fit in the space. To avoid this unfortunate situation, be sure to carefully measure the room before purchasing any furniture. Don’t forget that you’ll need room to walk around comfortably and areas to put other furniture, such as bookshelves and seating arrangements, as well.
- Where you’ll position the desk: If you’re starting with a blank canvas, take the time to consider how you plan to set up the room to ensure that everything fits appropriately. Drawing out the floor plan as well as where you’d like each piece of furniture to be is a practical step that will save you time and effort in the long run. Be sure to measure each item that you’re interested in purchasing to guarantee that they’ll work in the space you’ve reserved for them.
- What you’ll use the office for: Will your office be a place that you retreat to do hobbies or somewhere to work diligently from home? Will storage or desk space be more of a priority? Determining the ultimate purpose of your home office is crucial in order to find a desk that meets your particular needs.
Choose the Right Lighting
While the lighting in your child’s old bedroom was likely used to promote rest and relaxation, the lights you incorporate into your office space should be bright and practical. Rather than choosing soft light bulbs that are commonly used in bedrooms, it’s best to use bulbs with higher wattages to boost productivity and efficiency in your home office. In place of overhead lighting, which can be harsh or overbearing, be sure to incorporate different layers of light sources that will add depth while illuminating your work space, such as table lamps and task lights. To make the space feel spacious and open, maximize natural light as much as possible by selecting subtle window treatments as well as avoiding blocking windows with bulky furniture. If natural light is limited due to small windows, positioning a mirror across from them can help bounce more sunlight around the room, making it feel bigger and brighter.
Incorporate Functional Features
Your home office shouldn’t only be stylish, it should also be functional. Knowing how you’d like your office space to be used can help determine the best furnishings, layout, and decor to ensure you’re able to make the most of the space. For instance, if you know you’ll be handling a lot of paperwork in your office, it’s probably wise to invest in plenty of storage units, such as filing cabinets and bookshelves. Likewise, if your child will need a place to sleep when they visit from out of town, it’s certainly a good idea to incorporate as many multi-functional pieces as possible, such as a sleeper sofa or hide-away bed, if your space will allow it. Remember, a functional office is a comfortable office.
Keep Things Organized
What good is a brand-new office if it’s cluttered or disorganized? Keeping your work supplies, documents, and household belongings neat and tidy is crucial to designing a space that you’ll look forward to working in. A wooden bookshelf may look charming paired with your new desk and floor lamp, but it may not be the best place to store packing tape, bubble wrap, or business receipts. Once you determine how you plan to use your office, it’s important to bring in storage options that will meet your unique needs, such as filing cabinets, storage cubes, and plastic bins. Staying organized doesn’t just entail storage, though. Be sure to have the right office accessories that can be displayed around your office space to help you stay on track like calendars, whiteboards, and other hanging products to display daily reminders.
Add Personal Touches
It’s easy to get swept up in the practicality and functionality of designing an office, but don’t forget to make it personal, too. After all, it will be your work space and no one else’s. To help your home office reflect your personal style and highlight what’s important to you, incorporating personal aspects is always a good idea. Family photographs, memorabilia from your favorite sport’s team or city, or even items from your hobbies are wonderful pieces that can bring a room to life while emphasizing the things you love. By places pictures of your kids playing soccer on your desk or hanging one of your guitars above a cozy armchair, you’ll be sure to create a space that feels inviting, comfortable, and, above all, personal.
As you can see, revamping your child’s former bedroom into the home office of your dreams is as simple as considering your specific needs and choosing functional pieces of furniture that meets them. For everything you need to make your home office visions a reality and more practical tips to convert a bedroom into a functional work space, the design team at Ashley Homestore is here to help. Give us a call or visit one of our showroom locations in Green Valley or Tucson, AZ, to see how we can exceed your expectations in designing the perfect office space that you will love and enjoy.
- How to choose the perfect rug for any room - August 5, 2022
- Beautiful organization: Finding functional pieces that blend in with your decor - July 12, 2022
- Creative ways to bring texture and eye-catching designs into your home - June 17, 2022
- 6 tips to tie your indoor and outdoor living spaces together - May 11, 2022
- How To Find Your Personal Home Decor Style - April 26, 2022