Your bedroom may be the most important room in your house. Sure, the living room, dining room and kitchen probably get more attention from your family and guests, but your master bedroom is where you spend the majority of your time sleeping, resting and getting ready for the day. For these reasons, it’s worth spending the time and effort to decorate your bedroom in a stylish yet relaxing manner. Use these tips from the design experts at Ashley Furniture HomeStore in Tucson to create your perfect bedroom.
Use calming colors
The color palette that you choose for your bedroom is one of the most critical aspects in creating a comforting aesthetic. While bright colors, such as orange and red, may be the ones you like the most, they probably won’t help you sleep well at night. With this in mind, it’s wise to stick with a color scheme that is calming and tranquil. You certainly can’t go wrong with clean neutrals, such as white, cream, gray or tan. But understated blues, greens and even yellows would also be appropriate in a relaxing bedroom.
Pro tip: If the lack of bold color choices on the walls feels a bit flat or uninspiring for your taste, incorporate a variety of textures and patterns in the accessories, such as a woven area rug, wicker baskets and detailed throw pillows to add personality and charm to the space.
Don’t overcrowd the room
Decorating your bedroom with all of your favorite belongings may seem like a good idea (it is your most personal space, after all), but bringing in too many items can cause the room to feel small and overcrowded. Less is more. Rather than displaying an array of knickknacks on your dresser or filling every inch of wall space with photographs and artwork, choose a few pieces that are meaningful and that visually pack a punch. This rule applies to furniture as well; if a chair or lamp isn’t contributing to the aesthetic or functionality of the space, it shouldn’t be in your bedroom. Leaving a bit of empty space on your walls, bedside table and the floor is the secret to helping the space feel bigger, brighter and more inviting.
Invest in a quality mattress
If you don’t look forward to crawling into your bed each night, it might be time to upgrade your mattress. Even if your mattress appears to be in good shape, it’s recommended that mattresses be replaced at least every 10 years. When the time comes to go shopping for a new mattress, do your research. Along with setting a budget and reading reviews online, it’s helpful to try out new mattresses in person, if possible. If not, find a mattress that has a great warranty and an exchange policy to ensure it meets your needs when you bring it home. Most importantly, choose a mattress that is large enough for you to get the best night’s sleep without overwhelming your room. When in doubt, measure, measure, measure!
Include plenty of storage
When your bedroom is clean and organized, it’s easier to feel rejuvenated and prepared to take on another day. Including plenty of storage solutions can make it simple to keep your bedroom in order all week long. Some great bedroom storage options include:
- Bins to slide under your bed
- A bedside table with a cabinet and drawers
- Baskets to make your bookshelf look chic
- Closet organizers to hold everything from clothes and shoes to bags and accessories
Incorporate tranquil elements
Just as the color palette of your bedroom is important, so are the accessories that you choose. The items you bring into your bedroom should help the space feel more tranquil and soothing. Here are some calming elements that are worth inviting into your bedroom.
- Houseplants: Plants can add color and texture to your bedroom while removing harmful toxins from the air and helping you reduce stress.
- White noise machine: Put down your device and listen to peaceful sounds that will make sleeping and relaxing a breeze.
- Scented candles: Place a lightly scented candle by your bed to make the space feel (and smell) fabulous.
- Plush pillows: Arrange soft accent pillows on your bed and chair to create a space that feels as good as it looks.
- Blackout curtains: When it’s time to go to sleep, too much light can make it difficult. Pair blackout curtains with dreamy curtain panels to help you sleep like a baby.
Don’t hesitate to seek professional help
If you’re struggling to bring your vision for your bedroom to life, consult a professional designer. Along with providing tips on the best color schemes, fabrics choices and design trends for your bedroom, a design expert can also guide you on which furnishings will give you the most bang for your buck, how to arrange furniture and the best ways to use wall hangings. When in doubt, getting assistance from a professional will make the process easier.
For everything you need to create your dream bedroom, the knowledgeable team at Ashley Furniture HomeStore is here to help every step of the way. From mattresses and bedroom furniture to storage solutions and other accessories, we have a large selection of home decor that is sure to meet your unique style and budget. We are proud to offer the best in quality furnishings and exceptional customer service to make your furniture shopping experience as smooth as possible. Visit us online today or stop by one of our convenient local showrooms to see how easy it is to transform your ordinary bedroom into your own personal retreat.
- 6 tips to tie your indoor and outdoor living spaces together - May 11, 2022
- How To Find Your Personal Home Decor Style - April 26, 2022
- How to design a productive at-home learning area for kids - March 18, 2022
- 6 Tips to Tastefully Add Color to Your Living Room - February 16, 2022
- The do’s and don’ts of decorating your perfect bedroom - January 28, 2022