Is there anything more exciting than decorating your first home? We don’t think so! Whether you are renting an apartment or purchased a house, there’s something special about putting personal touches on a place to call your own. If you’re starting from scratch, though, designing several rooms in a way that is attractive and practical can feel a bit overwhelming. Fortunately, the experts at Ashley Homestore in Tucson are here to help you every step of the way. Check out these simple ideas to make decorating your first home as smooth as possible.
Define Your Personal Style
Before you start buying furniture, art, and accessories that you love, it’s necessary to define the particular style that you’d like to portray in your home. Would you love to achieve a rustic farmhouse look or are you more of a modern minimalist? Are you drawn to traditional colors, finishes, and furniture or do eclectic, unexpected pieces catch your eye? Defining what look you have in mind is critical because it will not only give you a sense of direction as you browse home decor online and visit furniture stores in person, but it will also ensure that the pieces you invest in will work well together. Once you’ve defined what you like (and even what you don’t), write it down. Creating a list, document, or vision board is an excellent way to establish an end goal and give you something specific to work toward as you shop for and style your new home.
Choose Versatile Pieces
While you may adore your starter home, chances are that it won’t be your forever home. Even if you’re planning on living in the same place for the foreseeable future, it’s always wise to invest in furnishings that are versatile for several reasons. First and foremost, multi-functional pieces tend to be space-saving and practical, meaning you can make the most out of the space you have available in rooms big and small. Likewise, versatile items will be more likely to blend into your future home regardless of how big it is or what it looks like. For instance, a leather ottoman with hidden storage capabilities may work well in your living room now, but could easily transition to the bedroom or study in a future home as well.
Make an Impact with Wall Decor
Nothing screams “new home” quite like entirely bare walls. To help your place feel homey and inviting, be sure to hang wall decor sooner rather than later. If you don’t know where to start, don’t panic. Making an impact with wall decor is easier than you might think. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Choose artwork and wall hangings that are the appropriate size for the wall they will be on. Placing several small pictures or knick-knacks on a large wall may seem like an effective way to take up space, but it can also make the room look cluttered or closed in. Instead, choose fewer pieces that will pack more or a punch. One large piece of art tends to look better than an assortment of tiny ones for particularly spacious walls.
- Use matching frames to give your photographs a sophisticated touch. The frames don’t have to be fancy or expensive. In fact, plain black or white frames around a few matted photographs is a simple approach to make any picture look refined and professional.
- Have fun with your wall decor by hanging something unexpected on your wall. Musical instruments, sports memorabilia, and even dishes are all ordinary household items that can add a surprising twist to nearly any room in your new home to make it your own.
Don’t Forget the Windows
Many people spend so much time considering what type of sofa or dining room table to purchase for their first home that they completely forget about their windows. Window treatments can enhance the overall aesthetic and ambiance of your home or take away from it. Because of this, it’s essential to choose curtains or blinds that won’t just look great but will meet the particular needs of the room. For example, sheer curtain panels may be ideal for the living room where you’d like to prioritize natural light, while Roman shades may be better for your bedroom in order to achieve privacy when necessary. The bottom line? Don’t miss the chance to take your home to the next level with customized window treatments.
Mix Quality and Affordable Pieces
Regardless of how big your home is, furnishing an empty house from top to bottom can be pricey. Fortunately, there’s no need to buy the most expensive or luxurious pieces all at once. Instead of overspending on all-new furniture or leaving half of your home bare, strive to fill your living spaces with a mix of quality and more affordable pieces. Start by choosing a few pieces that are worth investing in, such as a sectional, mattress, or dining room set. Once you have the most important items in the space that will get the most use or be the focal point of the space, look for affordable decor and accessories that will complement it. If you splurge on a comfy new sofa, for instance, perhaps you could find a coffee table or table lamps on sale to go with it. By knowing what pieces are worth investing in and which ones can be found for a bargain, you can piece together a home that looks and feels special.
Decorating your first home should be an enjoyable process. With this in mind, don’t be afraid to go outside of your comfort zone and have fun with colors, fabrics, and home decor as you fill your first home with pieces that are a reflection of your taste and personality. The experienced design team at Ashley Homestore will be happy to assist you in finding one-of-a-kind furnishings to meet your individual style, needs, and budget. For more tips on designing your first home, contact us or stop by our showroom in Tucson today!
- 5 Practical Ideas for Decorating Your First Home - April 22, 2021
- 6 Tips to Revamp Your Home This Spring - March 22, 2021
- 6 Home Decor Resolutions worth Keeping in 2021 - February 18, 2021
- 7 Tips to Elevate Your Rental Home - January 25, 2021
- 7 Simple Tips to Decorate Your Home for Winter - December 15, 2020